The amount of sleep a person needs depends on many factors, including age. In general:
- Infants (ages 0-3 months) require 14-17 hours a day.
- Infants (ages 4-11 months) require 12-15 hours a day
- Toddlers (ages 1-2 years) require about 11-14 hours a day.
- Pre-school children (ages 3-5) require 10-13 hours a day.
- School-age children (ages 6-13) require 9-11 hours a day.
- Teenagers (ages 14-17) need about 8-10 hours each day.
- Most adults need 7 to 9 hours a night for the best amount of sleep, although some people may need as few as 6 hours or as many as 10 hours of sleep each day.
- Older adults (ages 65 and older)need 7-8 hours of sleep each day.
- Women in the first 3 months of pregnancy often need several more hours of sleep than usual.